Things have progressed quickly, in all the wrong ways. On Monday, my diastolic blood pressure was over 100 and my doctor decided to place me on anti-hypertensive medications. The protein in my urine had increased significantly by my appointment on Tuesday, at which point he said I needed to begin my medical leave and spend the majority my day in bed, laying on my left side. I was given orders for a 24-hour urine collection and he began talking about inducing me early. I had still not dilated at all, was having only minor irregular contractions, and she had not yet dropped.
On bed rest, my blood pressure stabilized for a day or so, but has been creeping back up. My 24-hour urine test came back significantly elevated. Another non-stress test on Thursday was generally normal, but took a while because she was sluggish. At this point, despite being a little early and showing no clear signs of labor, he decided it was best we cut our losses and scheduled me for an induction. I am scheduled to arrive at the hospital tonight at midnight.
I can't help but draw the parallels between how this pregnancy began and how it will likely end. Scheduled. Not-spontaneous. With my body not cooperating.
My doctor warned us to brace for a long labor since we are starting from square one. He discussed the slightly increased complications of poor lung development given that we haven't made it completely to term and the higher complication of possible cesarean delivery if my body continues to be non-cooperative. Aside from these risks, I am hopeful that we will be welcoming a healthy baby girl into this world in the next 24-36 hours. There is a sense of calmness and separateness as we each make final preparations before heading to the hospital. Here we go...